Yes, that's what I said.
While I'd heard of it before, I didn't try it until I was in Italy a couple years back, when all the b&b's had it. As a breakfast or snack condiment, I'll start out by saying that NUTELLA F'N ROCKS! It's really, really tasty stuff.
For many of you chocolate lovers out there, you'll probably do back flips after tasting it for the first time. However, despite it's tasty flavor, it's a bit tempermental when it comes to storage.
It's one of the misconceptions of our time. If you put Nutella in the fridge, it will harden. Many American folks will probably run into this issue because:
- They're new to Nutella. It's more commonly used in Europe.
- Assuming they know to buy it (it's very tasty); if they do use it, they get it in the large quantity double pack at Costco.
- The first instinct, once one uses it, is to think of it as something like a jam; thus, refrigeration must be required.
- What's even more frustrating is that even when you don't refrigerate it, you pretty much need to use it rather quickly; otherwise it will slowly start to harden and crust up on you...and the lid will get this greasy consistency on it, which is probably from evaporation of the liquid inside, I guess?
- When you take Nutella out after it's been in the fridge, it's hard. Really hard.
- Put the spoon away, as you're gonna need a knife. A strong butter knife is preferred.
- It will be like mining for limestone. You'll have to saw around the sides of the desired piece before trying to extract it.
- It may fly out at you. When I dealt with the extraction part of the process, the Nutella wanted to launch itself into orbit.
- Once you manage to get it on your bread, don't bother trying to spread it. You'll destroy whatever you just put it on...you now need your handy microwave.
- Throw your specimen into the microwave for 30 seconds...don't go beyond that or you might risk "overcooking" the Nutella. You're just trying to soften it.
- Hence, bubbling Nutella from microwave = bad. Softened Nutella from microwave = good.
- NOW spread it with the knife.
- Put the lid back on and secure it tightly.
- Uh, maybe place the Nutella back in the cupboard this time.
- Thank yourself...and thank you!!!