Monday, June 11, 2007

My endorsement of Barack Obama for President of the United States in 2008

Why do I support Barack Obama for President in 2008? He's a uniter and he inspires me. He's got brains (imagine that - should we make that a requirement for the Presidency? . . no further comment), he has a vision for the country, and he thinks big picture. He's a man of the world and can help bring back the country's credibility that it so desperately needs on the international stage.

Barack Obama listens to differing opinions without allowing himself to be puppeted - probably the most important quality a decision-maker can have. (Isn't it so simple yet so hard to come by?) My vote usually swings on a politician's stance with the environment. I believe, and have thought so since I was a young child in the 1970s, that the human race and the stability of the planet we live on have been on a crash course towards an unimaginable train wreck. IMO we MUST not only slow down this runaway train of environmental degradation - - - we must stop it dead in its tracks and figure out how to put the beast in reverse - - - and there's proof we can do it. Look at the recovery of the ozone layer, for example.

It's this notion of care for the environment that drove me to a career in land use planning - trying to do my part, however small, in an endeavor to affect change for the better. I spent 8 years trying to help protect the Sonoran Desert in Tucson, Arizona - and had a few small victories. I believe when these victories add up, and we look at the aggregate total of our efforts, that we posture ourselves to break over the crest when someone like Barack Obama takes office. I haven't been very hopeful lately, but now I am again with him in the picture.

A mentor of mine once referred to the definition of "luck" being "when preparation meets opportunity." We have all been preparing in our various ways - therefore our time to act is now - in doing everything we can to help Obama get into the White House. Thanks for reading and I encourage you to share your ideas with me - in our drive to swell this tidal wave for Obama’s success—in next years primary and general election—to unprecedented heights!

If you’re interested in helping with the campaign, here’s more information: Help Obama!. Barack Obama and I are committed to changing the political process by building a campaign built on a broad base of support from ordinary Americans. S



No comments: